Thursday, January 4, 2018

Happy New Year - and Gratitude

Time Traveler, acrylic painting by Debbie Shirley

How do you start off the  New Year? Do you make resolutions for what you plan to do or change this year? Do you look back to see what you accomplished or didn't get done?

I tend to do a little of both: I usually spend time over the holidays looking back over the year and also making plans (mostly business related) for the upcoming 12 months. This year the holidays were a little more hectic than usual with a lot of family things going on, so I never really felt I had the time to sit back and think. But one thing did really stick out in my mind - both for last year and moving forward - which is despite all the things that can temporarily get me down, I do have a lot of reasons to be grateful.

I've been thinking a lot about gratitude as this new year kicks off. I have so much to be thankful for! I am so thankful that I was able to travel home to see my family for Thanksgiving. With three very busy kids and a husband who often travels for work, I don't get to make the trip back to the Midwest nearly often enough. It was wonderful to spend the holiday with my parents, siblings and their families.

I am also so grateful for my collectors. Thanks to them, I get to do the work that I love to do every day.  Without people buying/supporting my work, I wouldn't be able to continue painting - so a huge "thank you" to you all!

As another busy holiday season is now in the books, I am also thankful for all the small businesses who have supported me by allowing me to show and sell work in their stores. These are the kind of businesses that I like to shop in myself - the small, independently owned shops, each with their own personalities and unique offerings. If you are local to Massachusetts,  I hope you will check out the following places where my work is available:
(And if you aren't local, I hope you will find some small independently owned businesses near you to shop!)
West Village Provisions, Boxford, MA
Positive Images Gallery, Haverhill, MA
North Shore Makers Mart, Topsfield, MA
Newbuyport Art Association, Newburyport, MA
Zenobia, Ipswich, MA
Pop Gallery, Gloucester, MA

I am looking forward to what 2018 will bring - lots of new work, new shows, new experiences to share - I hope you will continue to travel along with me. You can always follow me on Facebook or Instagram for more frequent updates. Or contact me if you have any comments or questions - or ideas for paintings that you would like to see. In the meanwhile - thank you and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment