Sunday, August 10, 2014

Tripoli - Acrylic Painting of Neon Sign, Retro Signage Art

Tripoli
12 x 12 inches
acrylic on 3/4" canvas

Oh my, so far behind on posting!
I've been painting like a madwoman, though. But with the kids out of school, all of their activities (and keeping them busy), endless games of baseball (go Bombers!), other family stuff, and then painting in any spare moments day and night, I just haven't had the time to keep up online. So the next few weeks will remain sporadic in posting, and then hopefully things will get back to a more normal routine.

This neon sign is for Tripoli Pizza in Salisbury, Massachusetts. I painted the sign once before in a 6 x 6 inch format and decided to try it larger. I'm thinking of going even larger with it - I have an 18 x 18 inch canvas, so maybe I will give it a try!

As far as the pizza goes, I haven't had it from this location, but I did recently try Tripoli Pizza in North Andover. My oldest son (14 years old) informed me that this is called "beach pizza". I never knew that there was a name for it! It is pizza that is hand rolled into large rectangular trays, a slightly sweet tomato sauce and just a sprinkle of cheese over a fairly crisp crust. Much of the pizza in New England is Greek-style, so this is definitely a change of pace.

This painting, along with 13 others from my "Along the Way" series are now hanging at the Boxford Town Library though September 17, 2014. There will be an artist reception on August 26 from 6-7;30 pm for those of you who are local to Massachusetts. It seems like this series will be going "on tour" over the next year, so stay tuned for details for more venues where it can be seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment