Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Cherry Rounds - Small Still Life Painting - Kitchen Art

Cherry Rounds
2-1/2 x 3-1/2 inches
acrylic on various wood/MDF surfaces

A little experiment......
I want to create some really small paintings for some shops and maybe upcoming shows. I really  liked working on the 3x3 size that I used for my Fun-A-Day Project, but I would like a better surface.

I purchased a few samples on Etsy: one is a pine block, one is canvas mounted on pine and one is MDF board (they all have hanging slots on the back). When the samples came, I thought I would definitely prefer the pine blocks. I coated them with 2 thin coats of GAC, then three thin coats of gesso, sanding in between. At that point, I was starting to lean a little more towards the block with the mounted canvas. Then I painted. They each took paint in a different way -  no clear winner at this stage.  But then when I varnished them....wow! I was very surprised to find how much I liked the MDF panel. So the first batch of these little guys with be on MDF - stay tuned to see more.....

(the winner!)

1 comment:

Magic Love Crow said...

Stunning Debbie! So much work!

Post a Comment