Thursday, July 12, 2012

Empty Vessel - New Painting Farm Building Abandoned Silo

Empty Vessel
10x8 inches
acrylic on canvas

This painting is to be entered in a local exhibit. I hope to have more information about it to share with you soon.

I always find old farms intriguing (I wonder what this silo held?) - and a little sad - so many of the small local ones can no longer sustain themselves. I try to buy from local farms as much as I can - but in New England, winter can be a little tricky  ;-) I took the kids to the Middleton Farmers Market yesterday. We had so much fun picking out yummy things to eat that I totally forgot that I meant to get a few things specifically for a still life! Oh well - I guess there is always next week!

These 8x10s always feel big after working so small for so long. I am starting to get the urge to work a little bigger though. I don't really have to space to work any larger right now, but I am starting to think about how to work it out......

2 comments:

Sonya Johnson said...

This is really neat, Debbie. It has a very abstract feel to it, and I think the size suits your painting style well :).

I also find old barns and silos intriguing; I took hundreds of photos of them on our drive from CT-CO 2 years ago through the midwest.

Debbie Shirley said...

Thanks Sonya!
That was the feel I was going for - kind of abstract, despite all the detail ;-)

Oooh - that must have been quite the drive! I can imagine there would have been a huge number of barns out that way! We sure see a lot when we drive through NY and PA on our way to Ohio.

Post a Comment