Thursday, August 18, 2011

Morning Coffee - SOLD

Morning Coffee
5x7 inches
acrylic on canvas
SOLD

Yes, I had a bit of fun with this one!
I should be finishing up a landscape, but I really wanted to do an entry for DailyPaintworks.com "Paint Your Mug Challenge". You see I really have a strong attachment to many of my mugs - they are like comfort objects to me. My favorite depends on my mood and what I am drinking. Some of them bring back memories of people or places, some of them just feel good to hold in my hands. So I really wanted to do some sort of still life with one of my mugs in a setting that reflected the "comfort" they give me. Well, I was having a hard time coming up with a set up that pleased me. I had placed the mug on a blue plate while I was thinking about what to try next and I just happened to look down on it from above. With the way the light came through the window - and I saw the shapes and the shadows and the colors - I was positively giddy and knew I had to paint it right then even though it was a bit of a departure from my normal work.

3 comments:

Aitch said...

I really like this one - love the angle you've painted it from, much more interesting than just a painting of a mug!

Magic Love Crow said...

Debbie, this is cool! Great job!

Debbie Shirley said...

Thanks ladies! It was fun ;-)

Post a Comment