Wednesday, August 17, 2011

By The Shore - Plein Air Sketch

By the Shore
6x4 inches
acrylic on canvas panel

I worked on this one while sitting in a "tin tub" tied to the dock near my inlaws' camp on Shin Pond in northern Maine. I wanted to capture the light on the water - it was a cloudy day and the light changed so quickly that I had a really hard time of it. I think I also needed to change my position a little - I think this painting needs some sky  ;-) Once again - I'm not pleased with the outcome, but it was a good learning experience.

2 comments:

Sonya Johnson said...

I really like your water reflections in this, Debbie :). Using acrylics to paint outdoors seems like a whole separate challenge unto itself, so you get extra gold stars for that, not to mention that this was clearly a very complicated scene to paint!

The changing light and water reflections are probably the bane of every plein air painter...you just have to decide on one "look" and stick with it no matter what.

Magic Love Crow said...

You're not pleased Debbie? ;o) Wow, I love it! I truly do ;o) Tin tub? That must have been fun ;o) Take Care!

Post a Comment