Sunday, May 15, 2011

Restless....

Well, not much painting got done this weekend. Family obligations, households chores, etc. etc. When I had a little time on Saturday, I was feeling too restless to paint, so I took my dog for a very long walk to check out a few nearby areas that I had been considering for some plein air practice.

We checked out three different places, and I found some lovely spots in all three. It has made me very eager to get back out there painting again - but of course it is supposed to rain all week  ;-(

One area near my house is a tiny little arboretum. My neighborhood once was a nursery for a man who specialized in rhododendrons and azaleas. He was well known for bringing many species from the south to New England. Most of the houses on my street have these huge banks of rhododendrons left over from the nursery days. This arboretum is a tiny bit of his old showing garden that gets maintained by the town's horticultural society. It is a lovely spot, with little paths leading to little somewhat wild gardens with many of the old plantings. It is a little early for the great rhodie showing, but right now there were some lovely Korean Azaleas and Pinkshell Azaleas in bloom. These are the Korean shown below - the petals have little ruffled edges, a little fancier than the standard azaleas we normally see around here.
Now let's hope for a more productive week!

4 comments:

Magic Love Crow said...

Debbie, that is so beautiful about where you live! I can just imagine the paths, to the wild gardens! It's suppose to rain here all week too! I will hopefully get alot of painting done and wait for the sun, to take some pictures. I take all my pics outside! Have a great week ;o)

Melinda said...

Yes, tons of clouds and rain ahead, and boy was it chilly today! (I'm wrapped in a blanket as I type!) Those flowers are lovely and I bet your dog enjoyed the long walk! :)

Debbie Shirley said...

Has anyone gotten any sun yet? Still rainy here, too. I had hoped to have a productive week, Stacy - but life kinda got in the way ;-)

And Melinda - I think I spent the week wrapped in a blanket....feels like March instead of May!!

Melinda said...

Yes, I fired up the woodstove I was so chilly a couple of days! ;) After yesterday and getting some much deserved sunshine, I was hoping for some more... nope. No where to been seen this morning! ;)

Post a Comment